Certification of commercial applicators in Indiana is a legal requirement for anyone who applies any pesticide (herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide, etc.) including over-the-counter and restricted-use products:
- to someone else’s property as a for-hire service;
- to school property (public and non-public);
- to golf courses (public and private); and/or
- for area-wide mosquito control.
Commercial applicator certification is also required for anyone who applies restricted-use pesticides only:
- on the property of their employer as a function of their job; and/or
- as an employee of a state or local governmental agency.
Certification is also required for anyone who applies agricultural fertilizers commercially, applies lawn fertilizers commercially, or who inspects structures for wood-damaging pests.